Skip to main content

The Man & Minutia...

Have you ever heard the old saying "Can't see the forest for the trees"? That's what comes to my mind every time I hear about people arguing over the details of scripture. I'm not an establishment trained bible scholar, so perhaps I lack the ability to appreciate the savor of their arguments, but I know the sweet savor of the Spirit of our God in His word and that to me is the point of the gift of it ... that we come to know HIM. The rest to me - their arguments, tends to reek of intellectual pride and focuses away from the sweet spirit of the overall message. 

Again, keep in mind that I lack officious institutional training so I speak from my own understanding, but my heart and search for more of Him are true and longstanding. Both lead me to appreciate the terror of His unimaginable power, the depth of His love, the perfection of His righteousness and justice, and the mercy and kindness of His offer of grace to far lessor, fallible and failing creatures. Completely Holy and untainted by the weaknesses of mankind, our God suffers Himself to desire the company of the spirits that He created for His own good pleasure and offers them redemption at a terrible price that He paid for at His own suffering.

The minutia I'll leave to those unable to resist the temptation to argue, while I revel in the glory of the One who makes such unimaginable gesture as to desire and to redeem from prostitution to other things, those He intended for Himself from before He formed them in their mother's womb. I know in my heart that He created us to be eternal spirits in His company while we find ourselves so often tempted to focus inward to the limitations of time in this life instead of continually seeing our place in eternity as was His intention from the beginning. Time itself is so limited, but God's intention for us has always been eternal and beyond time - we must see that.

Those things that my limited understanding may not comprehend or see clearly in my current form, I find the need to trust God to either reveal to me by His Spirit, make known to me when I pass from this place to the next, or to keep for His own purposes forever hidden, as is His right - while my faith and my trust are firmly embedded in the heart of Him, my Creator, Forever God and Redeemer.

I firmly believe that the word of God given to mankind, is a revelation of Himself to those He desires, a love letter and entreaties to those that He created for Himself - an invitation to become forever His own by choosing Him as their eternal and intimate Lord. To seek Him out, understand Him as He allows and engage His courtship in this moment we call life, is merely the threshold to eternity - the life He truly intended from our beginning, in His presence as His own. It requires no argument, only complete trust and obedience, and the revelation of the Holy Spirit in those things we need to know in order to accept His invitation. He will see to the rest as we choose to focus on engaging with Him and learn to trust Him completely. 

I find myself wondering if to argue over the details of the invitation might appear unseemly to the One who made the offer of it and I'm not offering knowing arrogance here, only humble and true concern. 


“And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the LORD your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul." Deuteronomy 10:12 (NLT)

"No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8 (NLT)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invested

Many years ago, I was hundreds of miles away from my home working as a supervising foreman on a construction crew erecting portions of commercial buildings in northern California. We were loaded with work and always a little short handed on experienced crew, so there was always an interest in retaining skilled hands whenever possible. That usually wasn't an easy task because the work was always hard, hot and fast paced. It was the kind of work that tended to attract hard core personalities with some bad habits when hiring from the local labor pool in whatever area we happened to be working in at the time. Those of us who commuted from out of town would often stay in hotel rooms paid for by the company that we worked for and that would usually mean that the accommodations weren't always the best, but we learned to deal with it.  Being a little older than most of the crew and in a position of authority with the company meant that I would often have a room to myself while the othe

Diving Deeper: R-E-S-PE-C-T

  “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT) I had a personal epiphany some years ago that changed the way that I approach God and the way that I've prayed since. It wasn't that I didn't already know the scriptures and eternal fact that my moment of further emerging clarity brought front and center into my thoughts. It was though as if the Holy Spirit pulled all of it together for me into a transforming moment of growth that required both my further submission and my trust to override some of my more visceral human urges when walking with Him through life here. The knee bending moment of illumination involved so much of what I'd learned and experienced over many years about and with our God, but centered on those two verses in Isaiah 55 and on

The Divine Courting

"They defiled themselves by their evil deeds, and their love of idols was adultery in the LORD’s sight. That is why the LORD’s anger burned against his people, and he abhorred his own special possession." Psalm 106:39,40 (NLT) "Idols" in the reality of God's perspective can be anything that we give more attention or value to than the God that created us for Himself. Given that He created us for Himself, that one relationship, or the lack of it between God and each of us, will rightly overshadow any and every other in importance in that moment of final judgment - just as it rightly should have from the moment that He first gave us breath. What's revealed in that final moment of God's examination of us and our hearts toward Him will be the defining moment of our eternal future. "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."  Revelation 4:11 (KJ)