Skip to main content

The Source

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1 (NLT)

Have you ever stopped to consider everything in your life - what you have, what you do, what you use, what you value, and then challenged yourself to trace it to its true origin - to its raw beginning? 


Everything we see, hear, feel, - everything, that affects our senses, has a root component. Tracing its parts to the rawest of composition will bring one who believes what God has said to a humble conclusion. As much as man may pride himself on this thing or that, there's not one thing that can't be traced back to something that God provided, not one root component that Omniscient God didn't bless us with in creation, not one effort that God did not provide strength or talent for, and not one living thing that God did not give life to ... including the man who boasts of his accomplishment.

The man who builds a house does so with materials and components derived from what God provided, with a body that God created and gave life to, and with skill and talents that God endowed him with. At the end of the day, will that man boast of what "he" accomplished? Or will he give the credit and offer gratitude to the one Source that made it all possible?

I've known our God for a very long time, but there was a time in my life when I lost my focus and subsequently lost everything, except for family and my God because of pride and my failure to give proper credit where it was due. Business, equipment, home, vehicles, - all of it. The Lord made me keenly aware of my error and I consequently repented. He once again became my primary focus and I realized that contrary to worldly values, I was far happier. In the end, I realized that that was the point of what I went through - regaining my first and most important love without all of the clutter and giving credit where credit is due. 

I had begun to cherish too much the things that HE provided rather than HE that provided them. He misses us when we've had close relationship with Him, but then drift pridefully off and let our values shift and our focus wander off onto other things. I realized in the end that anything that we let come between us and Himself is what we stand most to lose. WE put it at risk. It all went away - home, cars, motor home, business, equipment, etc. ... and in the end I remembered that I still had the only thing that could ever truly satisfy every need and fill the void. Our God is jealous for us and has a right to be - He created us for Himself. Anything else in our lives has to be a distant second. 

Our God is our true source of provision - including correction for our eternal profit in His eternal economy. We can "lose everything" and never lose anything of true, lasting value if we have Him. Nothing else compares to The Source Of Everything. 

All honor, power, glory, adoration and gratitude is His due.


"No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8 (NLT)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invested

Many years ago, I was hundreds of miles away from my home working as a supervising foreman on a construction crew erecting portions of commercial buildings in northern California. We were loaded with work and always a little short handed on experienced crew, so there was always an interest in retaining skilled hands whenever possible. That usually wasn't an easy task because the work was always hard, hot and fast paced. It was the kind of work that tended to attract hard core personalities with some bad habits when hiring from the local labor pool in whatever area we happened to be working in at the time. Those of us who commuted from out of town would often stay in hotel rooms paid for by the company that we worked for and that would usually mean that the accommodations weren't always the best, but we learned to deal with it.  Being a little older than most of the crew and in a position of authority with the company meant that I would often have a room to myself while the othe

Diving Deeper: R-E-S-PE-C-T

  “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT) I had a personal epiphany some years ago that changed the way that I approach God and the way that I've prayed since. It wasn't that I didn't already know the scriptures and eternal fact that my moment of further emerging clarity brought front and center into my thoughts. It was though as if the Holy Spirit pulled all of it together for me into a transforming moment of growth that required both my further submission and my trust to override some of my more visceral human urges when walking with Him through life here. The knee bending moment of illumination involved so much of what I'd learned and experienced over many years about and with our God, but centered on those two verses in Isaiah 55 and on

The Divine Courting

"They defiled themselves by their evil deeds, and their love of idols was adultery in the LORD’s sight. That is why the LORD’s anger burned against his people, and he abhorred his own special possession." Psalm 106:39,40 (NLT) "Idols" in the reality of God's perspective can be anything that we give more attention or value to than the God that created us for Himself. Given that He created us for Himself, that one relationship, or the lack of it between God and each of us, will rightly overshadow any and every other in importance in that moment of final judgment - just as it rightly should have from the moment that He first gave us breath. What's revealed in that final moment of God's examination of us and our hearts toward Him will be the defining moment of our eternal future. "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."  Revelation 4:11 (KJ)