Skip to main content

The ABCs of Christian Survival and Growth 4C The One Who Loses Wins

The ABCs of Christian Survival and Growth
4C The One Who Loses Wins

The One Who Loses Wins ... a statement that doesn't seem to agree with itself. It defies logic and and our intellect. It's not what we likely learned as children playing games or what we learned playing sports. Life is filled with potential competitions and opportunities to be the first, the fastest, the strongest, the smartest, etc .... and the trophy goes to the one who wins. So how can the one who loses be the winner?

Again, I come back to perspective - our God's. If I run a footrace, what is my motivation for running it? If it's not to glorify God in some way, then it's pointless and likely not worthy to be counted for eternity. We weren't given life so that we could glorify ourselves, but God who gave us any ability that we might lay claim to. Is my motivation to run something that is bound to be successful in fulfilling the purpose for my creation? Or is it to satisfy my need to be elevated in the eyes of men or even in my own eyes? What is the motivation for the things that I do?

If I win the footrace, what have I won in the eyes of the only One who judges the greater race we run in this life? Likely nothing. He gave me the ability to do it, so why would He be impressed? But let's say that I'm winning the footrace, and I look back to see someone struggling in the rear. If I drop back out of loving compassion to run with this person to minimize their disgrace, to help them and encourage them to reach the finish line ... I will lose the footrace, but I will have won something that counts. I will have exhibited what's in God's heart for each of us - love, compassion and a desire to save us from disgrace. Until I drop back, the race is meaningless, but the moment I choose to deny my own self glory to save another from disgrace, I'm exhibiting Christ to them, because that's exactly what Christ has done for us. He set aside His great and righteous glory to come to us who wouldn't make it to the finish line on our own and in astounding humility sacrificed Himself for our benefit.

The world would likely call me a loser because I finished with the last. It's definition of winner is one bound in self glory and honor. But the moment I choose to exercise selfless, loving humility on behalf of another, my Lord calls me His champion. Do I choose satisfy the need to serve the world in giving it another champion? Or is my deepest desire, my motivation, to be the champion of my God. Which one has any real value? What is my motivation for the things that I do?

Consider Christ's words in the following scriptures;

Matthew 19:30 (NLT) "But many who seem to be important now will be the least important then, and those who are considered least here will be the greatest then."

Matthew 20:16 (NLT) "And so it is, that many who are first now will be last then; and those who are last now will be first then."

Mark 9:35 (NLT) He sat down and called the twelve disciples over to him. Then he said, "Anyone who wants to be the first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

Luke 9:48 (NLT) Then he said to them, "Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes my Father who sent me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest."

John 15:16 (NLT) "You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name."

So again I say "the one who loses wins". It's a matter of perspective. Some of the world's greatest winners have lost the only race that counted ... because of perspective. The values, attitudes and definitions of this world exist for a reason - to distract us and provide an opportunity for us to lose the real race. As Christians we know that we live for a purpose defined by the God who created us and no other. We will either win or lose by choosing to adopt His perspective as our own, or by living according to the values of the world. But my friends, in the end, when it will really count, our performance will only be judged from His perspective alone. Nothing anyone else said or thought about us will matter. Have the humility ... to win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invested

Many years ago, I was hundreds of miles away from my home working as a supervising foreman on a construction crew erecting portions of commercial buildings in northern California. We were loaded with work and always a little short handed on experienced crew, so there was always an interest in retaining skilled hands whenever possible. That usually wasn't an easy task because the work was always hard, hot and fast paced. It was the kind of work that tended to attract hard core personalities with some bad habits when hiring from the local labor pool in whatever area we happened to be working in at the time. Those of us who commuted from out of town would often stay in hotel rooms paid for by the company that we worked for and that would usually mean that the accommodations weren't always the best, but we learned to deal with it.  Being a little older than most of the crew and in a position of authority with the company meant that I would often have a room to myself while the othe

Diving Deeper: R-E-S-PE-C-T

  “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT) I had a personal epiphany some years ago that changed the way that I approach God and the way that I've prayed since. It wasn't that I didn't already know the scriptures and eternal fact that my moment of further emerging clarity brought front and center into my thoughts. It was though as if the Holy Spirit pulled all of it together for me into a transforming moment of growth that required both my further submission and my trust to override some of my more visceral human urges when walking with Him through life here. The knee bending moment of illumination involved so much of what I'd learned and experienced over many years about and with our God, but centered on those two verses in Isaiah 55 and on

The Divine Courting

"They defiled themselves by their evil deeds, and their love of idols was adultery in the LORD’s sight. That is why the LORD’s anger burned against his people, and he abhorred his own special possession." Psalm 106:39,40 (NLT) "Idols" in the reality of God's perspective can be anything that we give more attention or value to than the God that created us for Himself. Given that He created us for Himself, that one relationship, or the lack of it between God and each of us, will rightly overshadow any and every other in importance in that moment of final judgment - just as it rightly should have from the moment that He first gave us breath. What's revealed in that final moment of God's examination of us and our hearts toward Him will be the defining moment of our eternal future. "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."  Revelation 4:11 (KJ)